Faculty of Engineering
Department of Materials Science & Engineering
Ph.D. (Solid State Chemistry), Institute for Molecular Science, Graduate University for Advanced Studies, Japan, 1999
Research Interests (click to read more)
1. Energy Materials and Devices
I am interested to the energy conversion and energy storage. The energy conversion includes low-cost solar cells, such as polymer solar cells and dye-sensitized solar cells, and electrocatalysis. I am also interested to develop high-performance materials for energy storage. My lab achieved the highest photovoltaic efficiencies for dye-sensitized solar cells with carbon nanotubes and graphene as the counter electrode.
2. Nanometer Materials and Devices
My interests on nanometer materials include the development, processing and application of functional nanometer materials, such as carbon nanotubes, graphene, polymer/nanoparticle memory devices, and antibacterial nanocoating. Recently, we developed methods to directly deposit nanostructured metals on substrates through the chemical reduction of metal precursors.
3. Organic Electronic Materials and Devices
Organic electronic devices, including light-emitting diodes, photovoltaic cells, and field-effect transistors, have many important applications are regarded as the next-generation electronic devices due to their low fabrication cost and high mechanical flexibility. I am interested to the development of high-performance organic electronic materials and devices, including conducting polymers, conjugated polymers and organic molecules, photovoltaic cells and light-emitting diodes. We recently developed approaches to develop highly transparent and highly conductive polymer films. The polymer films have transparency and conductivity like indium tin oxide (ITO), the traditional transparent electrode material for optoelectronic devices.
- Huiqin Zheng, Chin Yong Neo, Xiaoguang Mei, Jun Qiu, Jianyong Ouyang, Binder-free graphene films fabricated by gel coating and their application as platinum-free counter electrode of highly efficient iodine/triiodide dye-sensitized solar cells, Journal of Materials Chemistry, DOI:10.1039/C2JM30612C.
Yijie Xia, Jianyong Ouyang, Highly conductive PEDOT:PSS films prepared through a treatment with geminal diols or amphiphilic fluoro compounds, Organic Electronics, accepted.
- Kuan Sun, Baomin Zhao, Amit Kumar, Kaiyang Zeng, Jianyong Ouyang, Highly-efficient inverted polymer solar cells with indium tin oxide modified with solution-processed zwitterions as the transparent cathode, ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces 2012, 4, 2009-2017.
Yijie Xia, Kuan Sun, Jianyong Ouyang, Solution-Processed Metallic Conducting Polymer Films as Transparent Electrode of Optoelectronic Devices, Advanced Materials 2012, 24, 2436-2440.
- Xiaoguang Mei, Huiqin Zheng, Jianyong Ouyang, Ultrafast reduction of graphene oxide with Zn powder in neutral and alkaline solutions at room temperature promoted by the formation of metal complexes, Journal of Materials Chemistry, 2012, 22, 9109-9116.
Y. W. Ma, Y. H. Lu, J. B. Yi, Y. P. Feng, T. S. Hemg, X. Liu, D. Q. Gao, D. S. Xue, J. M. Xue, J. Y. Ouyang, J. Ding*, Room temperature ferromagnetism in Teflon due to carbon dangling bonds, Nature Communications 2012, 3, 727.
- Kuan Sun, Jianyong Ouyang, Polymer solar cells using chlorinated indium tin oxide electrodes with high work function as the anode, Solar Energy Materials & Solar Cells 2012, 96, 238-243.
Yijie Xia, Kuan Sun and Jianyong Ouyang, Highly Conductive Poly(3,4-ethylenedioxythiophene):Poly(styrene sulfonate) Films Treated with an Amphiphilic Fluoro Compound as the Transparent Electrode of Polymer Solar Cells, Energy & Environmental Science, 2012, 5, 5325-5332.
- Kuan Sun, Yijie Xia, Jianyong Ouyang, Improvement in the photovoltaic efficiency of polymer solar cells by treating the poly(3,4-ethylenedioxythiophene):poly(styrenesulfonate) buffer layer with co-solvents of hydrophilic organic solvents and hydrophobic 1,2-dichlorobenzene, Solar Energy Materials & Solar Cells 2012, 97, 89-96.
Kuan Sun, Hongmei Zhang, and Jianyong Ouyang, Indium tin oxide modified with sodium compounds as cathode of inverted polymer solar cells, Journal of Materials Chemistry, 2011, 21, 18339-18346.
- Xiaoguang Mei and Jianyong Ouyang, Highly conductive and transparent single-walled carbon nanotube thin films fabricated by gel coating, Journal of Materials Chemistry, 2011, 21, 17842-17849.
Chin Yong Neo, Jianyong Ouyang, Precise modification of the interface between titanium dioxide and electrolyte of dye-sensitized solar cells with oxides deposited by thermal evaporation of metals and subsequent oxidation, Journal of Power Sources 2011, 196, 10538-10542.
- X. Mei and J. Ouyang, Ultrasonication-assisted ultrafast reduction of graphene oxide by zinc powder at room temperature, Carbon 2011, 49, 5389-5397.
Xiaoguang Mei and Jianyong Ouyang, Electronically and ionically conductive gels of ions liquids and charge-transfer tetrathiafulvalene-tetracyanoquniodimethance, Langmuir 2011, 27, 10953-10961.
- Hongmei Zhang, Jianyong Ouyang, High-performance inverted polymer solar cells with lead monoxide-modified indium tin oxides as the cathode, Organic Electronics 2011, 12, 1864-1871.
Dan Zhou, Xiaoguang Mei and Jianyong Ouyang, Ionic Conductivity Enhancement of Polyethylene Oxide-LiClO4 Electrolyte by Adding Functionalized Multi-Walled Carbon Nanotubes, Journal of Physical Chemistry C 2011, 115, 16688-16694.
- Zhonglian Wu, Aiyuan Li, Benhu Fan, Feng Xue, Chihaya Adachi and Jianyong Ouyang, Phenanthrene-functionalized 3,6-dithiophen-2-yl-2,5- dihydropyrrolo [3,4–c]pyrrole-1,4-diones as donor molecules for solution-processed organic photovoltaic cells, Solar Energy Materials & Solar Cells 2011, 95, 2516-2523.
Swee Jen Cho and Jianyong Ouyang, Attachment of platinum nanoparticles to substrates by coating and polyol reduction of a platinum precursor, Journal of Physical Chemistry C 2011, 115, 8519-8526.
- Zhonglian Wu, Benhu Fan, Aiyuan Li, Feng Xue and Jianyong Ouyang, Low-band gap copolymers of ethynylfluorene and 3,6-dithiophen-2-yl-2,5-dihydropyrrolo[3,4-c]pyrrole-1,4-dione synthesized under microwave irradiation for polymer photovoltaic cells, Organic Electronics 2011, 12, 993-1002.
Yijie Xia and Jianyong Ouyang, PEDOT:PSS films with significantly enhanced conductivities induced by preferential solvation with cosolvents and their application in polymer photovoltaic cells, Journal of Materials Chemistry 2011, 21, 4927-4936. (Selected as a hot article by the editor)
- Yijie Xia, Hongmei Zhang and Jianyong Ouyang, Highly conductive PEDOT:PSS films prepared through a treatment with zwitterions and their application in polymer photovoltaic cells, Journal of Materials Chemistry 2010, 20, 9740-9747.
Zhonglian Wu, Benhu Fan, Feng Xue, Chihaya Adachi and Jianyong Ouyang, Organic molecules based on dithienyl-2,1,3-benzothiadiazole as new donor materials for solution-processed organic photovoltaic cells, Solar Energy Materials & Solar Cells 2010, 94, 2230-2237.
- Xiaoguang Mei, Swee Jen Cho, Benhu Fan and Jianyong Ouyang, High-performance dye-sensitized solar cells with gel-coated binder-free carbon nanotube films as counter electrode, Nanotechnology 2010, 21, 395202. (featured on Nanotechweb.org)
Hongmei Zhang and Jianyong Ouyang, High-efficiency inverted bulk heterojunction polymer solar cells with UV ozone-treated ultrathin aluminum interlayer, Applied Physics Letters 2010, 97, 063509.
- Jianyong Ouyang, Application of nanomaterials in two-terminal resistive-switching memory devices, Nano Reviews 2010, 1, 5118.
Yijie Xia and Jianyong Ouyang, Anion effect on salt-induced conductivity enhancement of poly(3,4-ethylenedioxythiophene):poly(styrenesulfonate) films, Organic Electronics 2010, 11, 1129-1135.
- Kuan Sun, Benhu Fan and Jianyong Ouyang, Nanostructured platinum films deposited by polyol reduction of a platinum precursor and their application as counter electrode of dye-sensitized solar cells, Journal of Physical Chemistry C 2010, 114, 4237-4244. (featured on Azonano.com)
Yijie Xia and Jianyong Ouyang, Significant conductivity enhancement of conductive poly(3,4-ethylenedioxythiophene):poly(styrenesulfonate) films through a treatment with organic carboxylic acids and inorganic acids, ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces 2010, 2, 474–483.
- Jianyong Ouyang and Yang Yang, Polymer:metal nanoparticle devices with electrode-sensitive bipolar resistive switchings and their application as nonvolatile memory devices, Applied Physics Letters 2010, 96, 063506.
Xiaoguang Mei and Jianyong Ouyang, Gels of carbon nanotubes and a nonionic surfactant prepared by mechanical grinding, Carbon 2010, 48, 293-297.
- Wael Att, Norio Hori, Masato Takeuchi, Jianyong Ouyang, Yang Yang, Masakazu Anpo, Takahiro Ogawa, Time-dependent degradation of titanium osteoconductivity: An implication of biological aging of implant materials, Biomaterials 2009, 30, 5352-5363.
Jianyong Ouyang and Yijie Xia, High-performance polymer photovoltaic cells with thick P3HT:PCBM films prepared by a quick drying process, Solar Energy Materials & Solar Cells 2009, 93, 1592-1597.
- Yijie Xia and Jianyong Ouyang, Salt-Induced Conductivity Enhancement of Conducting Poly(3,4-ethylenedioxythiophene): poly(styrenesulfonate) Films, Macromolecules 2009, 42, 4141-4147.
Benhu Fan, Xiaoguang Mei, Kuan Sun and Jianyong Ouyang, Conducting polymer/carbon nanotube composite as counter electrode of dye-sensitized solar cells, Applied Physics Letters 2008, 93, 143103.
- Benhu Fan, Xiaoguang Mei and Jianyong Ouyang, Significant conductivity enhancement of conductive poly(3,4-ethylenedioxythiophene):Poly(styrene sulfonate) (PEDOT:PSS) films by adding anionic surfactants into polymer solution, Macromolecules 2008, 41, 5971-5973.
- Paula M. Mendes, Karen L. Christman, Puru Parthasarathy, Eric Schopf, Jianyong Ouyang, Yang Yang, Jon A. Preece, Heather D. Maynard, Yong Chen and J. Fraser Stoddart, Electrochemically Controllable Conjugation of Proteins on Surfaces, Bioconjugate Chemistry 2007, 18, 1919-1923.
- Ricky J. Tseng, Christina O. Baker, Brian Shedd, Jiaxing Huang, Richard B. Kaner, Jianyong Ouyang and Yang Yang, Charge transfer effect in the polyaniline-gold nanoparticle memory system, Applied Physics Letters 2007, 90, 053101.
Ankita Prakash, Jianyong Ouyang and Yang Yang, Polymer Memory Device based on Conjugated Polymer and Gold Nanoparticles, Journal of Applied Physics 2006, 100, 054309.
- Ricky J. Tseng, Chunglin Tsai, Liping Ma, Jianyong Ouyang, Cengiz S. Ozka and Yang Yang, Digital memory device based on tobacco mosaic virus conjugated with nanoparticles, Nature Nanotechnology 2006, 1, 72-76.
Jianyong Ouyang and Yang Yang, Conducting polymer as transparent electric glue, Advanced Materials 2006, 18, 2141-2144.
- Yang Yang, Jianyong Ouyang, Liping Ma, Chil-Wei Chu and Ricky J. Tseng, Electrical Switching and Bistability in Organic/Polymeric Thin Films and Memory Devices, Advanced Functional Materials 2006, 16, 1001-1014.
Ricky J. Tseng, Jianyong Ouyang, Chih-Wei Chu, Jinsong Huang and Yang Yang, Nanoparticle-induced negative differential resistance and memory effect in polymer bistable light-emitting device, Applied Physics Letters 2006, 88, 123506.
- Lei Saruwatari, Hideki Aita, Frank Butz, Hiromi Nakamura, Jianyong Ouyang, Yang Yang, Wen-An Chiou and Takahiro Ogawa, Osteoblasts generate harder, stiffer and more delamination-resistant mineralized tissue on titanium than on polystyrene, associated with distinct tissue micro- and ultra-structure, Journal of Bone and Mineral Research 2005, 20, 2002-2016.
Jianyong Ouyang, Chih-Wei Chu, Ricky Jia-Hung Tseng, Ankita Prakash and Yang Yang, Organic Memory Device Fabricated Through a Solution Processing, Proceedings of the IEEE 2005, 93, 1287-1296.
- Vishal Shrotriya, Jianyong Ouyang, Ricky J. Tseng, Gang Li and Yang Yang, Absorption spectra modification in poly(3-hexylthiophene):methanofullerene blend thin films, Chemical Physics Letters 2005, 411, 138-143.
Jianyong Ouyang, Chil-Wei Chu, Fangchun Chen, Qianfei Xu and Yang Yang, Highly conductive PEDOT:PSS film and its applications in optoelectronic devices, Advanced Functional Materials 2005, 15, 203-208.
- Jianyong Ouyang, Chil-Wei Chu, Douglas Sievers and Yang Yang, Electric-field induced charge transfer between Au nanoparticle and capped 2-naphthalenethiol, Applied Physics Letters 2005, 86, 123507.
Chih-Wei Chu, Jianyong Ouyang, and Yang Yang, Organic donor-acceptor system for the electrical bistability and memory effects, Advanced Materials 2005, 17, 1440-1443.
- Ricky Tseng, Jiaxing Huang, Jianyong Ouyang, Richard B. Kaner and Yang Yang, Gold nanoparticle/polyaniline nanofiber memory, Nano Letters 2005, 5, 1077-1080.
Jianyong Ouyang, Chil-Wei Chu, Charles Szmanda, Liping Ma, and Yang Yang, Programmable polymer thin film and nonvolatile memory device, Nature Materials 2004, 3, 918-922. (featured on Science, MIT Technology Review)
- Jianyong Ouyang, Chil-Wei Chu, Fangchun Chen, Qianfei Xu and Yang Yang, High-performance polymer light-emitting diode using high-conductivity PEDOT:PSS film as anode, Journal of Macromolecular Science, Pure and Applied Chemistry 2004, A41, 1497-1511.
Jianyong Ouyang, Qianfei Xu, Chil-Wei Chu, Yang Yang, Gang Li and Joseph Shinar, On the mechanism of conductivity enhancement in poly(3,4-ethylenedioxythiophene): poly(styrene sulfonate) filmthrough solvent treatment, Polymer 2004, 45, 8443-8450.
- Liping Ma, Jianyong Ouyang and Yang Yang, High-speed and high-current density C60 diodes, Applied Physics Letters 2004, 84, 4786-4788. (featured on the MRS Bulletin)
Qianfei Xu, Jianyong Ouyang, Yang Yang, Takayuki Ito and Junji Kido, High efficiency green polymer light-emitting diodes via nano-scale interface modification, Applied Physics Letters 2003, 83, 4695-4697.
- Liping Ma, Seungmoon Pyo, Jianyong Ouyang, Qianfei Xu and Yang Yang, Nonvolatile electrical bistability of organic/metal-nanocluster/organic system, Applied Physics Letters 2003, 82, 1419-1421.
K. Yakushi, K. Yamamoto, J. Ouyang, M. Simonyan, C. Nakano, Y. Misaki, and K. Tanaka, “Charge ordering and phase transition in q-(BDT-TTP)2Cu(NCS)2”, Synthetic Metals 2003, 133-134, 287-289.
- Jianyong Ouyang, Tzung-Fang Guo, Yang Yang, Hiroyuki Higuchi, Masahiro Yoshioka and Tatsuki Nagatsuka, High-performance, flexible polymer light-emitting diodes fabricated by a continuous polymer coating process, Advanced Materials 2002, 14, 915-918.
K. Yakushi, K. Yamamoto, M. Simonyan, J. Ouyang, C. Nakano, Y. Misaki and K. Tanaka, Charge-ordering and magnetic phase transitions in q-(BDT-TTP)2Cu(NCS)2, Physical Review B 2002, 66, 235102.
- K. Yakushi, J. Ouyang, M. Simonyan, Y. Misaki and K. Tanaka, Charge order in theta-(BDT-TTP)2Cu(NCS)2, Molecular Crystals & Liquid Crystals 2002, 380, 53-59.
J. Ouyang, K. Yakushi, T. Kinoshita, N. Nanbu, M. Aoyagi, Y. Misaki, and K. Tanaka, The assignment of the in-plane molecular vibrations of the BDT-TTP electron-donor molecule based on the polarized Raman and infrared spectra, where BDT-TTP is 2,5-bis(1,3-dithol-2-ylidene)-1,3,4,6-tetrathiapentalene, Spectrochimica Acta Part A 2002, 58, 1643-1656.
- J. Ouyang, K. Yakushi, Y. Misaki and K. Tanaka, Raman spectroscopic evidence for the charge disproportionation in a quasi-two-dimensional organic conductor θ-(BDT-TTP)2Cu(NCS)2, Physical Review B 2001, 63, 054301.
J. Ouyang, K. Yakushi, Y. Misaki and K. Tanaka, Phase-transition of θ-(BDT-TTP)2Cu(NCS)2, Synthetic Metals 2001, 120, 843-844.
- Yongfang Li and Jianyong Ouyang, Effect of nonionic surfactant additives on the electropolymerizatioin of pyrrole in aqueous solutions, Synthetic Metals 2000, 113, 23-28.
J. Ouyang, K. Yakushi, K. Takimiya, T. Otsubo and H. Tajima, Low-energy optical transitions in organic metal DMTSA-BF4, Solid State Communications 1999, 110, 63-68.
- Jianyong Ouyang, Jian Dong, Kyuya Yakushi, Kazuo Takimiya and Tetsuo Otsubo, Spectroscopic study of the isostructural charge-transfer salts: non-metallic DMTTA-BF4 and metallic DMTSA-BF4, Journal of the Physical Society of Japan 1999, 68, 3708-3716.
J. Ouyang, K. Yakushi, Y. Misaki and K. Tanaka, Band structure of (BDT-TTP)2X (X=SbF6, AsF6, ClO4) studied by reflection spectroscopy, Synthetic Metals 1999, 103, 2207-2207.
- K. Yakushi, J. Dong, J. Ouyang, K. Takimiya, T. Otsubo and H. Tajima, Metallic properties of 1:1 charge-transfer salt DMTSA-BF4, Synthetic Metals 1999, 103, 2208-2209.
K. Goto, T. Kubo, K. Yamamoto, K. Nakasuji, K. Sato, D. Shiomi, T. Takui, M. Kubota, T. Kobayashi, K. Yakushi and J. Ouyang, A stable neutral hydrocarbon radical: synthesis, crystal structure, and physical properties, Journal of the American Chemical Society 1999, 121, 1619-1620.
- Jianyong Ouyang, Kyuya Yakushi, Yoji Misaki and Kazuyoshi Tanaka, Two-dimensional band structure of organic metals (BDT-TTP)2X (X=SbF6, AsF6) studied by polarized reflection spectroscopy, Journal of the Physical Society of Japan 1998, 67, 3191-3198.
Jianyong Ouyang and Yongfang Li, Great improvement of polypyrrole films prepared ectrochemically from aqueous solutions by adding nanophenol polyethyleneoxy (10) ether, Polymer 1997, 38, 3997-3999.
- Jianyong Ouyang and Yongfang Li, Effect of electrolyte solvent on the conductivity and structure of as-prepared polypyrrole films, Polymer 1997, 38, 1971-1976.
Jianyong Ouyang and Yongfang Li, Preparation and characterization of flexible polypyrrole nitrate films, Synthetic Metals 1996, 79, 121-125.
- Jianyong Ouyang and Yongfang Li, Anion dominated electrochemical process of poly(N-methylpyrrole), Journal of Applied Polymer Science 1996, 61, 1487-1491.
Jiangyong Ouyang and Yongfang Li, Protonic acid doping form in poly(N-methylpyrrole), Polymer Journal 1996, 28, 742-746.
- Jianyong Ouyang and Yongfang Li, Influence of the doping counteranions on the penetration of H+ cations through poly(N-methylpyrrole), Journal of Applied Polymer Sciecne 1996, 59, 1827-1832.
Yongfang Li, Jianyong Ouyang, Jing Yang, Yuqi Liu, and Meixiang Wan., Effect of electropolymerization conditions on polypyrrole Schottky barrier, Chemical Journal of Chinese University 1995, 16, 279-282.
- Jianyong Ouyang and Yongfang Li, "nhancement of the electrical conductivity of polypyrrole films on applying higher voltage, Synthetic Metals 1995, 75, 1-3.
Yongfang Li, Jianyong Ouyang and Jing Yang, Two doping structure and structural anisotropy revealed by the mass loss and shrinkage of polyrrole films on alkali treatment, Synthetic Metals 1995, 74, 49-53.
- Jianyong Ouyang, Chapter 12 “Organic/Polymeric Films with Resistive-Switching Behavior and Their Application as Nonvolatile Memory Devices” in “Nonvolatile Memories: Materials, Devices and Application”, volume 2, page 1-19, ed. By Tseung-Yuen Tseng and Simon M. Sze, American Scientific Publishers, 2012.
Jianyong Ouyang, Chih-Wei Chu, Ricky Tseng and Yang Yang, Chapter 8 “Electrical Bistable Polymer Films and Their Applications in Memory Devices” in Handbook of Conducting Polymers, 3rd edition (editors: T. A. Skotheim and J. Reynold), CRC Press, 2006, p311.
- Yang Yang, Jianyong Ouyang, Liping Ma, Chih-Wei Chu and Ricky Tseng, Chapter 15 “Polymer and Organic Thin-Film Memory Devices” in Semiconducting Polymers: Chemistry, Physics and Engineering, Second Edition”, ed. Georges Hadziioannou & George G. Malliaras, Wiley-VCH, 2006.
Yang Yang, Liping Ma, Jianyong Ouyang, Jun He, Hai Ming Liem, Chih-Wei Chu and Ankita Prakash, “Organic Nonvolatile Memories” in chapter 2 of Materials for Information Technology (Editors. E. Zschech, C. Whelan, T. Mikolajick), Springer-Verlag, 2005, p197.